The following tutorial shows the user how to use the MixTool plugin in Studio One 4.
Need a Pro Audio laptop to run PreSonus Studio One 4 software and all of its features at its best? Check out the MC Mobile line of Pro Audio Laptops from PCAudioLabs.
On the modern days of audio mixing, the digital tools that engineers use in order to shape the recorded sound are called Plugins. Plugins can emulate the behavior of vintage analog pieces of gear, or simply act as clean/linear digital signal processors, performing tasks such as equalization, compression, limiting, expansion, gating, time-domain effects, etc. Studio One 4 comes with a variety of proprietary plugins that can help the user mix a music production completely “in-the-box”.
For the purpose of this tutorial, we will explain how to use the MixTool plugin in Studio One 4:
- Open or create a new Studio One 4 song:
2. Open and maximize the MIX tab:
3. From the inserts list of the track, select “MixTool”:
The MixTool window will open as:
It is easy to see from the previous picture, the MixTool plugin has several parameters that can be explained as:
- Gain: This knob sets the overall output gain of the signal.
- Block DC Offset: This switch re-centers the incoming signal to remove any possible DC offset present.
- Invert Left: When engaged, this will switch the polarity of the left channel.
- Invert Right: When engaged, this will switch the polarity of the right channel.
- Swap Channels: When enganged, the channels will be swapped.
- MS Transform: When enganged, the plugin will perform a MS Transformation on the input channels.
For the purpose of this tutorial, we will use the MixTool to simply Gain up the signal by 3 dB and Swap the Channels. The MixTool plugin should be set as:
- Gain: +3
- Block DC Offset: OFF.
- Invert Left: OFF.
- Invert Right: OFF.
- Swap Channels: ON.
- MS Transform: OFF.
4. Apply the previous configuration, and the MixTool plugin should look like this:
At this point we have successfully explained how to use and configure the MixTool plugin in Studio One 4. The tutorial has now finished.
Using Presonus Studio One 4 software to produce music would be ideal with one of our professionally designed PCAudioLabs Systems due our high-performance specifications in order to work with any of the Digital Audio Workstations supported. If you would like to order one of our PCAudioLabs computers, please call us at 615-933-6775 or click this link for our website.