The following tutorial will cover the Insert Parameter Automation in Studio One 4.
Need a Pro Audio laptop to run Presonus Studio One 4 software and all of its features at its best? Check out the MC Mobile line of Pro Audio Laptops from PCAudioLabs.
Just as any other Digital Audio Workstation software, Studio One 4 gives the user the possibility of automating any parameter of the inserts contained in each track. This is specially useful during the mixing stage of a production in which the engineer might need to modify them for aesthetic purposes.
This tutorial will present a step-by-step guide on how to automate insert parameters in Studio One 4:
- Open a Studio One 4 song with at least one track:
From this picture it is easy to see that the “Vocal” track contains an insert called “BitCrusher”. For the purpose of this tutorial we will automate the “Bypass” parameter of this insert so that in the middle of the take, the plugin gets bypassed and the audio is played back with no processing applied.
2. Locate the options on top of the track names at the left of the screen:
3. Click on the “Show Automation” button:
As soon as it is clicked, the track display will switch to the following:
4. Click at the menu labeled “Display: OFF” and a dropdown list will appear as:
5. Click on the “Add/Remove” option and the following window will appear:
This is the track automation window. It lets the user select which parameters will be automation-enabled. The left side of the window shows the parameters that are already automation-enabled while the right side shows the possible parameters that can be added to the automation-enabled list.
6. From the list on the right side of the window click on “Inserts” and the possible parameters will be shown as:
7. Click on the “Bypass” parameters to select it. It will be highlighted as:
8. Click on the “Add” button and the “Bypass” parameter will be added to the automation-enabled list on the left as:
9. Press the “Close” button at the bottom right of the window to close it, the track will appear as:
It is easy to see the Bypass parameter has been added and its automation behavior is represented by the light green line. For the purpose of this tutorial, we will edit the bypass automation line by using the paint tool.
10. From the top tool menu, look for the the Paint Tool:
11. Click on the paint tool and it will light as blue:
12. Using the paint tool, draw a new shape for the automation line in order to edit it:
Note how the new automation line has changed. These changes represent the bypass button turning ON at the middle of the take, and back to OFF after that.
If the user presses the play button, the track will playback and the bypass button of the BitCrusher insert will toggle ON and OFF following this automation line because the automation mode is set to read, as noted on the following picture:
At this point the user has learned how to automate an insert parameter in Studio One 4. The tutorial has now ended.
Using Presonus Studio One 4 software to produce music would be ideal with one of our professionally designed PCAudioLabs Systems due our high-performance specifications in order to work with any of the Digital Audio Workstations supported. If you would like to order one of our PCAudioLabs computers, please call us at 615-933-6775 or click this link for our website.